Thursday, May 7, 2009

Surprise Corn Muffins

Tomorrow I will have a post on how to make violet jelly (or dandelion). Should you make the jelly, you will want to make these delicious Surprise Corn Muffins. I got this wonderful recipe from the book "Cooking Fun," by Rae Grant. I love this cookbook, it has so many great "old-fashioned" recipes.


You need:
1/2 C melted butter
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
2 T sugar
2 1/4 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
3/4 C yellow cornmeal
2 eggs
1 C milk
1/2 C jam or jelly (we used our homemade violet jelly)

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners (or grease the cups).
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the cornmeal and mix well.
3. In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and milk. Add the melted butter to the egg mixture and whisk well. Pour the mixture all at once into the flour, stirring just until the batter is moistend. The batter should look a little lumpy.
4. Fill each muffin cup about 1/3 full with the batter, add 2t of jelly, then cover the jelly with the batter, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Serve warm and enjoy!

9 comments:

Joy said...

This sounds like a good addition to a weekend breakfast. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Yum! And so easily veganizable, too :-). Thanks!! And thank you for your good wishes. {hugs}

momandkiddo said...

A surprise is always good!

Melanie said...

I have so much trouble finding cornmeal here, it can be quite frustrating as I would love to make my husband these and other stuff made of cornmeal that he has told me about. I will keep searching and keep your recipe for the day finally find it:)

Shona Leah said...

I can't wait to make this and the jelly too!

dongdong said...

HI, Lisa

I check out the cook book you mentioned. It is really fun. I'm hoping to make/bake something today from that book. You have the best book recommendations!

Annie said...

Oh yum! I want one right now!

Palmer and Co said...

Oh, my! This sounds and looks so delicious!!

Joy said...

We just had your surprise corn muffins for dinner with scrambled eggs, hash browns and fresh fruit. Delicious! We made ours with muscadine jelly from our local farmer's market. Yum. Thanks again for the recipe!!