Thursday, June 18, 2009

Shhhh....birthday surprise

My baby will turn 6 on Monday, June 22. How is this possible? Where does the time go? I often have to put the quickness of time out of my thoughts when I look at my girls; it really tugs at my heartstrings.


I think Araina is my biggest fan of my felties and handsewing silliness. She is always throwing ideas at me in hopes of seeing her vision made in some form. For her birthday she told me that all she wanted was things made by me and Fauna. She LOVES owls and told me many times that she would love a few for her birthday. Needless to say I have been a very busy mama trying to make her simple dream come true. Here is a sneak peek of the owl pillow I'm making her. It's made out of thrifted sweaters.

I have never made anything like it and am really enjoying it! So far it is totally handesewn, but I think I will have to get out the sewing machine to stitch up the sides. The thought of that machine stresses me out!


I need to go now and work on the owl some more; Araina gives me grief when I am on the computer, she thinks I should be locked in a room sewing for her.....ahh, the thoughts of a soon to be 6 year old!
Geez, I'm also going to have to keep her away from my blog or the surprise will be ruined!

10 comments:

kyndale said...

Happy Birthday Araina. You have an awesome Mama! I love the owl pillow! How are you making it?

Smiles,
Kyndale

Lisa said...

Kyndale, so far I have handstitched the details on with lots and lots of emb. floss and stitches painstakenly close together! Very time consming! I used a basic sweater, cut off the arms and the neck to form the feather tufts; then cut wings, eyes and belly from different sweaters. I put a little stuffing in the belly to give it dimension. I have more details to add and need to stitch all around the outside of the owl. I think I will use the machine for that, but nervous b/c I don't know my machine very well.

dongdong said...

I am totally with you on how time flies. J will be 7 in July.

I think it's just absolutely wonderful that A is your biggest fan and she wanted owl pillows. How sweet!

And you are such a great mama for making it for her- and mostly handstitched. That is one labor of LOVE!

I'll save the birthday wishes for when she actually turns 6. How exciting!!

jane said...

it´s looking good! have a great birthday! will there be pink cake?...

Antoinette said...

A very happy sixth birthday to your little Araina! How does it go so quickly??

The owl looking wonderful! I had to chuckle when I read about the expectations of your girl - mine gets quite imperious about my crafting for her, and I too get ordered off my 'pooter to work on her stuff.

HyggeMomma said...

I am wondering, do you have any ideas for a Killer Whale? Next month is my oldests 6th birthday and as always you inspired me. Her favorite animal is a Killer Whale, she intends to train them as an adult, I have no doubt she will do exactly that, she spends much of her time training her younger siblings to do her bidding. HA!At any rate, if you have any ideas I would love them. You are so gifted!

The Magic Onions said...

Oh, my GOODNESS, Lisa... that's adorable. You are SO clever! She'll LOVE it!

gardenmama said...

Oh, the owl is absolutely fabulous!!

Olga said...

This is so great, Lisa! I think these will be so special for her ! How were you able to do this so Araina doesn't see?;) Little children are everywhere and know about everything which is going on, do you sow at night? :D

Joy said...

Awww...happy birthday, Araina! I hope it's a great one! That owl pillow is SO adorable!