Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lavender Herbal Doll

The lavender has been dried; now it is time to do the tedious job of getting all the dried blooms off the stalk. We have to do this outside because it is so potent; even outdoors it causes a lot of sneezes! The Little Ladies worked hard on this; (sigh) but only for about 30 minutes.



Fauna took the lavender experience to a whole new level and made this lovely lavender doll with peppermint hair. She wanted it to be all natural, but found that rubberbands worked the best to hold the doll together. Needless to say, we still have a lot of lavender blossoms to pull from their stems!


By the way, I'm very busy working on the new, improved and soon to be organized 5 Orange Potatoes at Wordpress. Just remember that it is still under construction. ;) And, following Wordpress sites are easy; just copy the WP address, go to your Blogger dashboard, click "ADD", and paste address into the URL. Don't follow me yet at WP or you will have a FULL dashboard of 5 Orange Potatoes while I transfer the posts. I will continue to post here until the WP site is complete. Thanks again for all the support you have all given me. Even those of you that haven't commented, I can't believe how much traffic has gone to Faunarain. Thank you!
Lisa :)

17 comments:

Tammy said...

Fauna, the lavender dolly is darling. :)

Annie said...

Mmm... lavender!

Transfer posts? You are downloading your whole blog here and uploading it there, right? Should be quick and easy.

Tan Family said...

Lavender dolls...what a great way to use the dried lavender! Another wonderful idea from your beautiful family. Good luck getting Wordpress up and running.

Linda said...

What a wonderful creative project :) I will definately look out for your new blog, good luck with it :)

Tara said...

Lavender doll is so cute!

I'm curious if the "moving a blog" process is as tedious as it sounds. It would be nice to just hit an import button and be done with it!

Good luck :)

Erin said...

For some reason this post made me think about the strawberry shortcake doll I had as a child that smelled like artificial strawberries. The smell of lavender is much better! :)

Joy said...

I'll bet it smells heavenly over there. The lavender dolly is adorable. Such creative little ladies you have. :)

Kelly said...

What a great idea of Fauna's. A gorgeous doll!

Cam said...

Genius idea! Love it!

:)

Lisa said...

Tara, there is supposed to be an easy way to transport the blog to WP. I just haven't found it yet.

Lisa :)

caitlin said...

I'll have to check out the new site.

Nicola said...

lovely, lisa!
so, are you copying and pasting old posts or is there a faster way?
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

dongdong said...

I finally have one stem of lavender flower in my garden. I was wondering if I bought a weird kind that has no flower or something. Maybe when I have more lavender flowers, I can try some of your ideas with lavender. :)

Jill said...

Oh yes - a day planned and you get 30 minutes. The sound of that is very familiar to me. Ah well, looks like the girls did enjoys themselves today!

Ken and Ann said...

Hi Lisa, love your blog and all the creativeness. Found you because I have a Google alert for lavender as I have a lavender farm. I am in the South Island of New Zealand. I just wanted to say to please ensure you use the correct type of lavender for your cooking/drinking. Don't think the wrong type would kill you :) but it mightn't taste very nice! Use English lavender - Lavandula angustifolia varieties. I think you have a variety in the US called Provence. A lady called Sharon Shipley recommends using this one. She had a cooking school in California and has written a cookbook, all lavender recipes. Sadly she passed away a couple of years ago. Love that your teaching your girls about all the beautiful things in the world - by the way when rubbing the dried lavender wear a mask - the dust can cause nasty lung problems- over a long period, but best to be safe. All the best, Ann www.lavenderbeds.co.nz

Sowing Clover (Emily) said...

I'm so excited for you! And wow, your new blog banner just cries, "Summer!" with the bright sunflower and honey bee. Remember that paper I said I wrote on bees? I now am thankful for every honey bee I see. :)

Shady Lady said...

The doll totally rocks!

Looking forward to your new blog location. =)