Friday, April 10, 2009

Ohio's Peregrine Falcon Cam

Our annual spring internet obsession is the Ohio's Peregrine Falcon Cam. This is a web-based video stream of an active peregrine falcon nest. The camera is located on the 41st floor ledge of the Rhodes State Office Tower in Columbus. The falcons that call this ledge home are Orville (male) and Scout (female). They successfully raised 4 falcons last year, we watched them daily from eggs to chicks to fledglings. This year Scout has once again laid 4 eggs. The eggs should start hatching on or around April 30 this year. We will anxiously be watching!



Photos provided by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources


Visit Ohio's Peregrine Falcon Cam and Donna Daniel's blog to stay updated on Orville and Scout and their 4 eggs. We became so attached to this falcon family last year and learned so much about falcon behavior. We can't wait to see what happens this year!

17 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ooooh, we have one, too-- I'll have to get over there to see what the specs are on when to expect them!!
Thanks for the reminder!
And enjoy! :)

Anet said...

They are so wonderful! We have nesting falcons downtown where I live with a falcon cam. It's so exciting to watch them.

Anonymous said...

I puffy ♥ webcams! And falcon families in action - priceless!!

Stephanie said...

Wanted to let you know that I mentioned this on Growing Naturally and linked to you.

The Magic Onions said...

We will be watching too... thanks for the link! How exciting!

Melanie said...

The falcon was sleeping as it is nighttime there and instinctively , without thinking, I kept clicking on it to wake it up lol

Melissa said...

ooh, thanks for the link! we've been watching a couple eagles (with 2 eggs) here:

http://www.hancockwildlifechannel.org/staticpages/index.php/20080401010059972

Linda said...

This is so exciting, thank you!

jane said...

Hey Lisa-I also used to watch the falcons 20 stories up in the middle of Philadelphia. They hung out on top of a building next to ours...Have a great Easter!

momandkiddo said...

How fun! Are you familiar with Pale Male, NYC's resident red-tailed hawk?

Louise said...

What fantastic web cam subjects.

Amber said...

Oh wow, i love these birds. I must head there and check it out...thank you...xx

Cupcake Mama said...

Our falcon's are back as well... And we have a camera, too. Not online though. I saw a peregrine falcon baby the other day : )

Shady Lady said...

How wonderful to be able to observe this so closely!

Annie said...

Very cool! I have a fondness for peregrine falcons ever since I did a project on them as a kid. One of the only projects I actually paid attention to and remember.

Lisa said...

i love facun,s araina

caitlin said...

Thanks so much for the sweet comment! I love this blog of yours. It looks like we have a ton in common. Not only do we share the same taste in music, but I used to make cute little felt monsters and bears and stuff with my mom for fun. (nothing near as cute as yours) I even lived in Ohio for a short time. Looks like I have a new fun blog to look at :)