Friday, April 17, 2009

Aluminum Art Mobile- Periodic Table of Elements


For this project you need: heavy duty aluminum foil (we used Reynold's wrap), permanent markers, rubbing plates, scissors, wire cutters, wire (we used florist wire), pliers, ribbon, beads, bells, glue gun, hole punch and cardboard (from a cereal box).


Place the foil on the rubbing plate, press with your fingers to get the imprint onto the foil, then color with the permanent markers.


To strengthen the foil, I hot glued cardboard to the back of the foil art. Then I punched 4 holes.


To assemble the aluminum art together we discovered it was easier to do this on the floor. We simply wired the pieces together adding beads and aluminum bells between each piece as we went along.


We punched 5 holes to the bottom piece and added a lot of pretty beads and bells.

We added a big ribbon to the top of the mobiles and hung them from our Hawthorn tree.


To give credit where it's due, I got the idea to hang the aluminum art in a mobile fashion from Pepper paints. To learn more about aluminum visit Aluminum and Literature. Visit Anet at the Purple Squirrel for another idea with aluminum.

11 comments:

Tammy said...

I'd love to walk down the street and see something like this hung in a yard. VERY nice. You are so amazing....

Anonymous said...

Another most excellent project!! How many weeks are you spending per element?

Lisa said...

Jumbles, I don't have a single plan on the amount of time per element. Seriously, just depends on inspiration. I'm not done with carbon.....have the ocean, sand and shells still to cover. I was just in the mood for aluminum this week. This is the last post for aluminum, unless something else inspires me.

Melanie said...

A work of Art!

dongdong said...

I bet the kids love this. I sure would. :) I love pepper paint. Thanks for sharing.

Annie said...

Those turned out beautifully! I love all the fun projects you do!

Tara said...

We've been wanting to work with foil for awhile... these are just great.

www.pepperpaints.com said...

Thanks for the link! Yours look great!

Sara said...

Oh I love this. Very pretty.

Colleen said...

oh wow, those are amazing. who knew you could make such lovely art from aluminum foil. wonderful.

kathy said...

this is the neatest idea! I've really enjoyed this post and I'm on my way to view more of your ideas! Thank you for sharing